Friday, January 27, 2012

The Whisky Diaries - day 8

I've always been a nighttime person. I wake up late, and I stay up until the wee hours of the morning. Doing things. I like doing things. Lots of different things, to be precise.

But it makes me insecure. I think about all the things that rush past in the early hours and I wonder what I'm missing. That I begin every day a little behind everyone else - it can lead to questions and doubts.

So I set myself the goal of early-to-bed and early-to-rise for these two weeks, and on this, the eighth day, I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I go to bed at around midnight and wake up at around seven. And I must tell you, this morning my wary suspicions of missing out were fulfilled - I was putting my sneakers on to go for a walk, and I looked up to see a squirrel in the treetops! A squirrel!!! And then another one appeared a few moments later! TWO SQUIRRELS!!!!!!!

So it's true. Great things do happen in the mornings. I wonder how many squirrels I've missed all these years. (That's a metaphor, by the way.)

Then later on, I had returned from the hour-long walk/jog and it felt so good in the strong morning sun. I washed my face in the bungalows shallow basin, sat on our small steps and spent some minutes picking grass seeds from my white socks. It was a consuming task, and I was focused and I was succeeding. The moment I finished I was shocked with a wave of such happiness. That for those moments, the biggest worry in the world to me were some tiny seeds of grass collected on a sock! How far I have come in the past few days, that I am truly happy enough to consider grass seeds a concern.

I saw a large eagle flying over the ocean while I was eating breakfast, too. I read and then napped and then painted for most of the afternoons hours. I'm deciding a lot of pleasant things in these hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...